Whether you are seeking an alternative to dairy milk because you want to avoid buying products from large dairy farms, you desire to steer clear from foods with added hormones and antibiotics or you simply have trouble digesting dairy products, almond milk can replace cow’s milk in any food or recipe. However, as a general rule, almond milk is better suited for cooking a sweeter dish like curry or for making desserts, says Karlene Karst, a nutrition specialist and registered dietitian.
Measure and pour the almond milk in your pot as you would dairy milk.
Cook the milk slowly, over low or medium heat, stirring constantly.
Insert the thermometer and watch the temperature to prevent scorching. Keep the milk below 140 degrees Fahrenheit unless the recipe calls for a higher temperature.
Follow the recipe as you typically would, but swap out the dairy milk for almond milk.
How to Cook With Lactaid
How to Make Breading Stick to Meat ...
How to Make Quaker Oatmeal
Can You Bake Sliders?
How to Cook a Bottom Round Roast & ...
How to Cook Elbow Macaroni in Milk
How Do I Curdle Soy Milk With Lemon ...
How Many Calories Are in Rice Pudding?
How to Use a Probe Cooking Thermometer
How to Convert Stovetop Recipes to ...
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes Without ...
How to Make Frosting Using All-Purpose ...
Alkaline Diet & Protein Foods
How to Cook Chicken Cutlets Without ...
How to Make a Cinnamon Milk Face Mask
How to Make Lamb Stew
How Many Calories Do Oats Contain?
How to Keep Scalloped Potatoes From ...
How to Use Powdered Milk for Baking
What Is Vegetable Ghee?
- “The Dictionary of Wholesome Foods”; Embree De Persiis Vona, et al; 2006
- “Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine”: Moo-ve Over, Dairy Milk; Karlene Karst; May 2008
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals; Cow’s Milk: A Cruel and Unhealthy Product
- “Food Preparation Study Course: Quantity Preparation and Scientific Principles”; Shirley Gilmore, et al.; 2005
- “The Cook's Problem Solver”; Helen Kowtaluk; 1998
- When substituting almond milk for dairy milk in any new dish, be cautious and check your dish a few minutes sooner than you would normally because the swap may affect the cooking time. Use almond milk to bake bread for a rich, sweet and nutty-flavored loaf.
- Almond milk is not safe for consumption if you are allergic to tree nuts. Overcooking almond milk will alter its taste and texture and strip its beneficial nutritional properties. Adding acidic foods such as oranges, asparagus, tomatoes or vinegar will cause almond milk to curdle.
Kate Abram has been writing for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy since 2010. Abram holds a Doctor and Master of Arts in occupational therapy from Nova Southeastern University and the University of Southern California, respectively. She also holds Bachelor of Science in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology from the University of California.