Kentucky Federal Grants for Single Moms

mom image by Mat Hayward from

Single moms in the state of Kentucky may find federal grants specifically designed for them through a number of resources. Some programs include a focus on funds aimed at economic redevelopment, while others provide educational assistance. All of the grants offered were created with empowerment in mind, to enable business start-ups and community development that will also serve to fuel the economy of the state of Kentucky.

Food Financial Assistance

Single mothers of low income who are in need of financial help in Kentucky may apply for food stamp assistance at the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The program is aimed at providing nutrition assistance to help low-income people buy groceries that are needed for good health.

The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program provides federal grants to single mothers and other individuals with supplemental foods, nutrition education and health-care referrals for lower-income women with children up to age five who could be at nutritional risk.

Housing Assistance

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) was designed to help low income households to pay for their household heating or cooling energy needs.

The Housing and Urban Development Program (HUD) is a government organization that can assist with housing or rental with reduced rents for apartments to low-income tenants and provide information about Section 8 housing. In addition, there are resources to help purchase an affordable home and avoid foreclosure. Those who qualify may receive grants towards a down payment on a house or an apartment. Those in severe need can apply for housing vouchers.

Medical Assistance

Single moms in Kentucky can find assistance to pay medical bills with the Medicaid program. Medicaid offers a partial health insurance system for dependent children, parents and pregnant women who cannot afford to pay for medical care. To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen and your financial income level must meet the current guidelines as set forth by the eligibility requirements.

Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP)

The Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP) offers services through the local community-based offices in various counties. K-TAP offers a Child Care Assistance Program and can coordinate Medicaid and food stamp benefits. Single moms may also receive Work Incentive reimbursements for up to nine months as well as child-care assistance according to certain eligibility guidelines. Those interested may contact the local Department for Community Based Services office at

Financial Scholarships

The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) provides information about local grants for single moms and other people who qualify under their guidelines. Check for more information.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) program provides financial assistance for college and student aid. The FAFSA is the core resource for student financial aid, including state and federal governments along with colleges and universities. Local Kentucky schools will have information on how to apply, or you can check has a wide array of government financial assistance information available for single mothers. You can register to view and search the grant opportunities. Multiple grants for single mothers are offered. Those who meet specific grant criteria may complete an application and attach a grant proposal for consideration.

Other Grant Resources

By checking with local churches and organizations, single moms can find federal grants through community resources. Check out Federal Grants at for other grant resources available that may apply to single moms located in Kentucky.