Porketta, or porchetta, is an Italian preparation for succulent, slow-roasted pork. Seasonings are key to this dish and typically include fennel, garlic, pepper, rosemary and salt, though variations exist in which herbs and spices such as oregano, lemon pepper, onion powder and dill seed are also included. Pre-seasoned porketta roasts can be picked up at your local grocery or specialty meat market so all you have to do is roast it in the oven or slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Porketta
Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray to prevent the porketta roast from sticking while cooking. Add the pre-seasoned porketta roast to the slow cooker and put the lid on it.
Cook the porketta roast on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 12 hours. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the roast you are cooking. Cooking times can also vary depending on the model of slow cooker you are using as temperatures for high and low settings can differ.
Cook the porketta roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the porketta roast from the slow cooker and let rest for at least 3 minutes before carving.
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the porketta roast to a greased baking pan and slide it into the oven. Roast for approximately 20 minutes per pound. Traditional preparations call for basting with olive oil and or wine during roasting.
Cook the porketta roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Remove the porketta roast from the pan and let rest at least 3 minutes before carving.
How to Marinate a Top Round Roast
How to Make a Blackbuck Antelope Roast
How to Cook a 15-Pound Rib Roast
How to Cook Beef Top Round Pot Roast
How to Cook a Deer Neck Roast in a Slow ...
How to Cook a Really Tender Beef Roast ...
How to Cook a Tender Roast
How to Brine Pork Roast
How to Cook a Partridge
How to Convection Roast a Brisket
How to Cook a Boneless Sirloin Pork ...
How to Cook Pork Loin
How to Make a Tender and Juicy Pot Roast
How to Cook Texas Broil Roast
How to Roast an Eye Round Roast at High ...
How to Make a Juicy Pork Tenderloin
How to Cook Boneless Country Spare Ribs
How to Roast Whole Flounder
How Do I Cook Boneless Pork Leg Roast ...
How to Slow Cook a Pot Roast With Beef ...
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions all complement the flavors of porketta and can be added to the roast while it cooks so you'll have complete and flavorful meal when it's finished.
- Porketta roasts were traditionally made with boneless suckling pig but are often prepared with several cuts of pork, including the shoulders and loin.
- Use leftover porketta to make sandwiches the next day.
- Try to keep the lid on your slow cooker at all times as removing the lid lets the heat escape, which prolongs the cooking process.
- It is recommended that you do not fill your slow cooker more than two-thirds full, though this varies among brands so consult your owners manual if you’re unsure.
Christina Kalinowski is a writer from the Twin Cities who began her career in 2011. She contributes food and drink related articles to The Daily Meal. She holds a Master of Arts in sociology from Purdue University.