Loaded with potassium and fiber, white asparagus is mostly similar to green asparagus, but tends to be thicker and larger. In taste, white asparagus is a bit milder than green, with a slightly nutty flavor. Cooking white asparagus takes a bit more time than cooking green asparagus, to ensure that the larger spears are completely tender before eating. Roasting white asparagus is a simple and easy way to make a delicious vegetable side dish.
Bend each white asparagus spear with your hands until the tough stem end of the stalk snaps off at its natural breaking place.
Remove the tough outer layer from the bottom of each asparagus stalk with a vegetable peeler or knife.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Toss the asparagus on a rimmed baking dish with a drizzle of healthy oil, such as organic olive oil. Sprinkle the spears with a pinch of salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Roast the asparagus in the hot oven for about 15 minutes, shaking and turning the pan halfway through the cooking time to make sure the spears cook evenly and don't stick to the pan.
How to Grill White Asparagus
How to Steam Cook Cabbage
How to Roast Beets for Canning or ...
How to Freeze Bok Choy
How to Freeze Fresh Asparagus
How Long Does It Take for Asparagus to ...
How to Steam Asparagus on the Stove
How to Boil Chayote
How to Roast Celery
How to Cook Yucca Root
How to Juice a Daikon Radish
How to Cook Fresh Turnip Greens
How to Freeze Fresh Beets
How to Cook Mushrooms as Hamburger Buns
How to Boil Beetroot
How to Cook Baby Carrots
How to Clean Scallops
How to Devein Tiger Prawns
How to Grill Turnips
How to Eliminate Bitterness in Broccoli
- "The New York Times"; White Asparagus, In All Its Delicacy; Geoffrey Zakarian; May 30, 2001
- Epicurious; Roasted Green and White Asparagus; Jeanne Thiel Kelley; June 2006
- Food Network; Roasted Mushroom and White Asparagus or Endive Salad; Reed Hearon, et al.; 1999
- "Bangor Daily News"; A Taste for Asparagus; Georgia Clark-Albert; April 11, 2011
- Serve asparagus warm with a drizzle of lemon juice for a fat-free, healthy topping.
- Do not let white asparagus brown in the oven. White asparagus becomes bitter when browned.
Leigh Good has been writing for magazines and newspapers for more than 10 years. Her work has been published in numerous print and online publications. Good has a bachelor's degree in print journalism from Georgia State University.