Tasty Treats in a Hurry
Heating the oven takes the most time in this easy recipe for baked mozzarella sticks. Serve the cheesy treats to your kids as a first course while you get the rest of dinner ready, as a party appetizer, or as an accompaniment to soup or salad for a quick dinner after a busy day at work. Cut the richness of the cheese sticks by serving a tangy, warmed spaghetti sauce for dipping. Microwave the sauce in one bowl, but serve it in small cups so everyone has a separate dipping sauce container.
Total Time: 15 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4 to 6
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- Heat the oven to 425F, and oil a baking sheet with the cooking spray.
- On separate small plates, spread out the flour and the breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir the eggs with a fork until they are well blended.
- Using your hands, roll a cheese stick in the flour to provide a dry surface for the egg to stick to. Then dip the cheese in the egg, and swish it around so all areas of the stick are coated with the egg.
- Place the egg-coated cheese stick on the plate with the breadcrumbs and press the crumbs over the entire surface of the cheese. Set the cheese stick on the baking sheet and repeat the process for the remaining cheese. Spray the tops of the cheese sticks with cooking spray.
- Bake the cheese sticks for 3 minutes. Using a spatula, turn them over and bake for another 2 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Susan Lundman began writing about her love of cooking, ingredient choices, menu planning and healthy eating after working for 20 years on children's issues at a nonprofit organization. She has written about food online professionally for ten years on numerous websites, and has provided family and friends with homemade recipes and stories about culinary adventures. Lundman received her M.A. from Stanford University.