Have a Cheesy Party
Creamy, tangy and festive, a cheese ball sets a celebratory tone whenever you serve it. Variations are plentiful when you consider which cheeses to use and what toppings to roll the ball in. Most cheese balls use cream cheese as a base to achieve a smooth, spreading consistency, but creamy goat cheese is also an option. Make one large ball for a party appetizer, or make multiple smaller balls, assembly-line style, to give away to your friends and neighbors during the holidays. This cheese ball recipe uses a classic trio of cheeses to create one large ball. Use a more mild cheddar instead of the extra sharp if your family and friends prefer more subtle flavors.
Total Time: 45 minutes | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 24
extra sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 8-ounce
cream cheese 1 5-ounce package blue cheese 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- In a food processor or using a hand grater, grate the cheddar cheese and crumble the blue cheese and place them on sheets of waxed paper to soften. Let all the cheeses sit for at least 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Using a food grinder or large, sharp knife, finely chop the walnuts and spread them on another sheet of waxed paper or in a dinner-size plate.
- In a food processor or with a large spoon, thoroughly mix the cheeses until they are well blended.
- Using your hands, shape the cheese mixture into a round shape. If the cheese is too sticky to handle, spray your hands with cooking spray, use wax paper to help shape the ball or refrigerate the cheese for 20 minutes until you can shape it into a ball.
- Roll the cheese ball in the chopped nuts, covering all sides.
How to Pan-Fry Cheese
How Long Does a Cheese Ball Last Before ...
How Can I Get Brie to the Right ...
How to Crumble Gorgonzola Cheese
How to Make Sausage Balls With Bisquick
How to Store Cheese
Do You Thaw Frozen Cheese Before ...
How to Arrange Party Trays of Cheese & ...
Technique for Dipping Cake Balls in ...
How to Cook a Prosciutto Panino
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks with String ...
Baking Brie Without Pastry
How to Freeze Mascarpone
What Is Good to Serve With Crab Dip?
How to Freeze Cheeses
Does Blue Cheese Spoil?
What Kind of Food Do You Serve on a ...
Calories in Bocconcini Cheese
Firm Ricotta Cheese Cannoli Filling
Tips on Using Cream Cheese Icing on a ...
Susan Lundman began writing about her love of cooking, ingredient choices, menu planning and healthy eating after working for 20 years on children's issues at a nonprofit organization. She has written about food online professionally for ten years on numerous websites, and has provided family and friends with homemade recipes and stories about culinary adventures. Lundman received her M.A. from Stanford University.