Flavored vodkas have taken the marketplace by storm, counting for 26 percent of all vodka sales in the U.S. market according to research firm Euromonitor International. What many people don't realize is that making your own flavored vodka is quite simple. For instance, the ingredients for jalapeno-infused vodka can be assembled in mere minutes. Offering a spicy kick, the clear, peppery spirit is enjoyed neat, on the rocks or in a cocktail.
Remove the stems, pith and seeds from your jalapeno peppers. Slice and discard the stem with your pairing knife. Next, cut your jalapeno in half, exposing the inside of the pepper.
Unscrew the top of the vodka bottle. Certain bottles have a wide, open mouth, while others have a protective plastic cap that slows the pour beneath the top. If your bottle has the protective cap, use the blade of your pairing knife to pop out and discard.
Insert your jalapeno halves into the vodka bottle. The heat or spice is found in the pith and seeds of the pepper. As they are submerged into the vodka bottle, the infusion process begins.
Store in a cool dark place for one to two weeks. The longer the peppers stay submerged in the vodka the spicier and hotter the vodka becomes. For a milder flavor, consume or remove the peppers after one week. For a stronger flavor, consume or remove peppers after two weeks.
Place the vodka bottle in the fridge or freezer for storage until ready to consume.
- Vodka remains indefinitely good. However, after two weeks remove the jalapeno peppers if you aren't going to consume the vodka right away. Otherwise, the peppers can rot or otherwise go bad in the bottle.
- When pouring your infused jalapeno vodka, use a strainer to remove any of the seeds.
- For a milder jalapeno-infused vodka, wash away the seeds and leave just the pith on each jalapeno half when inserting into the vodka bottle.
- For a less potent, less fattening vodka, choose a bottle of 60-proof vodka to infuse. Lower-proof vodkas contain less alcohol and therefore fewer calories.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images