If you have never tried bison, or what is usually referred to as buffalo, you may be surprised that it is tender, juicy and flavorful. Often considered wild game, bison can be purchased at many grocery stores and specialty markets. Bison meat does not contain as much saturated fat and cholesterol as beef, making it a healthy alternative. Myra Goodman, Pamela McKinstry and Miki Duisterhof note in their book, "The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet," that bison meat is also higher in protein and iron than beef. Slow cooking a bison chuck roast is the best way to bring out its flavor, and you can season it any way you like.
Spray the interior of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Place your bison chuck roast inside the slow cooker.
Pour the water over the bison chuck roast.
Arrange the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes around the bison chuck roast.
Sprinkle the bison chuck roast and vegetables with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Cover the slow cooker with a tight-fitting lid and turn the heat to low.
Slow cook the bison chuck roast for eight hours, leaving it covered for the entire cooking time.
Remove the bison chuck roast from the slow cooker using a pair of tongs.
Place the roast on platter and allow it to sit for five minutes.
Slice the bison chuck roast using a carving knife and serve hot.
How to Cook Tender Rolled Flank Steaks ...
How to Cook a Whole Beef Shank Roast
How to Pan Cook a Sirloin to Medium-Well
How to Grill a Ribeye on a Weber Q
How to Cook Texas Broil Roast
How to Cook a 15-Pound Rib Roast
Tri Tip Cooking Methods
The Best Way to Prepare Bison Sirloin
How to Cook a Center Cut Sirloin of ...
How to Cook a Choice Chuck Roast
How to Cook a Deer Neck Roast in a Slow ...
How to Make a Blackbuck Antelope Roast
How to Cook Cowboy Cut Ribeye
How to Cook a Juicy & Tender Lamb Leg
How to Broil Filet Mignon Wrapped in ...
How to Cook Beef Top Round Pot Roast
How to Roast an Eye Round Roast at High ...
How to Cook Beef Topside in a Slow ...
How to Cook Antelope
How to Slow Cook a Pot Roast With Beef ...
- "The Grilling Encyclopedia: An A-to-Z Compendium of How to Grill Almost Anything"; A. Cort Sinnes; 1994
- "The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet"; Myra Goodman, Pamela McKinstry and Miki Duisterhof; 2010
- Cook the bison chuck roast on medium heat for five hours if you need your meal ready sooner.
- Any vegetables can be added to the slow cooker to help flavor the bison. Squash, tomatoes and green beans are all healthy choices.
- Season your bison chuck roast with any herbs and spices you prefer. Experiment with different combinations until you find the one you like best.
- Your bison chuck roast does not need to be marinated or served with a sauce. A. Cort Sinnes, author of "The Grilling Encyclopedia: An A-to-Z Compendium of How to Grill Almost Anything," recommends allowing the flavor of the bison to speak for itself.
Sara Ipatenco has taught writing, health and nutrition. She started writing in 2007 and has been published in Teaching Tolerance magazine. Ipatenco holds a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in education, both from the University of Denver.