Cooking Frozen Turkey is as Easy as Cooking a Thawed One
It's the morning of a major holiday and your turkey is still frozen—but don't panic. You can cook a completely frozen turkey and still make it delicious. The key is to cook it low and slowly so it cooks evenly without drying out. The only downside to cooking a frozen turkey is that it increases the cooking time by 50 percent. So, instead of 4 hours, you're looking at about 6 hours to cook a 14-pound turkey.
Total Time: 4 to 6 hours | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 10
14 pounds 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon dried basil * 1/4 cup melted butter
- Heat the oven to 325F.
- In a large roasting pan, place your turkey on a rack. Do not remove the giblets or season.
- Cook the turkey for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Take the turkey out of the oven and carefully remove the giblets. If the turkey is too frozen to remove the giblets, continue cooking and check every 30 minutes until you're able to remove them.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, pepper, paprika and basil.
- Brush the turkey with the melted butter and sprinkle on the herbs.
- Return turkey to the oven and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Let the turkey rest for 30 minutes, then carve and serve.
How to Cook Jennie-O Turkey in a ...
How to Cook a Turkey From Frozen
How to Substitute Dried for Fresh Dill ...
How to Boil Frozen Conch
How to Cook a Turkey Joint
How to Roast a Split Turkey
How Fast Does Cooked Spaghetti Squash ...
How to Defrost a Frozen Beef Roast in ...
How to Reheat Leftover Pork Chops ...
How to Cook a Four-Pound Sirloin Tip ...
How to Store Cooked Ground Beef
How to Cook a Turkey Leg & Breast
How to Keep a Smoked Turkey From Drying ...
How to Store Brussels Sprouts
How Long Does Banana Bread Stay Fresh?
How to Freeze Empanadas
Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Frosting ...
How to Freeze Fresh Parsley
How to Defrost a Chicken in a ...
Jill Corleone is a registered dietitian and health coach who has been writing and sharing her love of food, nutrition and health with anyone who'll listen for almost 20 years. Her work has been featured on the Huffington Post, Diabetes Self-Management and Working Mother.