Asian glow, also known as Asian flush, is a reddening of the face with occasional rash outbreaks that develops after drinking alcohol. It usually occurs in people of Asian descent although the term can be attributed to non-Asians as well. People experiencing Asian glow develop a rosy face after drinking alcohol due to the aldehyde dehydroxygenase 2, an enzyme metabolizing alcohol located in the liver. Lack of this enzyme causes alcohol to not be processed correctly, thus resulting in the reddish glow. There is no proven remedy for Asian glow, although it may be gradually reduced or eliminated over time.
Limit your alcohol intake. Although this will not help you get rid of Asian glow completely, it may help make it less noticeable. Instead of drinking shots or a large amount of alcohol in a short amount of time, sip one drink over a longer period of time. You may notice that your Asian glow changes depending on circumstances, such as what drinks you drink, how hot it is or as you sweat such as from dancing.
Take an antihistamine drug to cure Asian glow. This may be especially beneficial for allergy sufferers. According to Home Remedies & Natural Remedies website, the effectiveness of this solution has not yet been proven, but in the case of allergy sufferers, antihistamines slow down the creation of acetaldehyde, which is responsible for causing such symptoms. It does not cure the glow, but delays the toxin conversion. However, antihistamines may cause drowsiness or liver damage. Speak to your doctor about this.
Eat food containing fructose, which supposedly prevents alcohol allergy symptoms that cause the Asian glow. Sweet food containing fructose, when mixed with alcohol, delays toxin production in people suffering from Asian glow.
Build resistance to alcohol over time. If you drink alcohol in gradually increasing amounts, over time Asian glow symptoms may be eliminated. "The logic is that the more you drink, the more your body will get used to it," as cited by Home Remedies & Natural Remedies website. You will have the toxin in your body, which may be damaging to your system, according to specialists who do not recommend this option.