How to Report Daycare Centers

by Victoria Gorski

If you suspect a day care center of abuse (verbal or physical), neglect or gross misconduct toward children under its care, report the day care center immediately to a governing body. Child abuse helplines can assist complaints if you are unsure which governing body to contact and also provide counseling services for parents or children. Other complaints, such as cleanliness or safety hazard complaints, should also be reported to the organization that oversees the standards of the day care center, or to another governing body.

Record all suspicions you have, such as noting down any injuries on the child, any emotional changes or any noticeable difference after day care. Include times and dates. Document solid evidence of any suspicions, such as pictures of recent injuries. Ask your child about any mistreatment at the day care center and, if she chooses to disclose anything, keep a record of what has been said or ask your child to repeat the evidence later.

Contact the local or national agency which deals with child abuse, such as the Department of Child Services. If you cannot locate a local or national agency, contact a child helpline or child abuse service, such as Childhelp National Abuse Hotline, which can guide you through the process or reporting a day care center. If your complaint is not regarding child abuse, misconduct or neglect (and is a sanitation issue or other complaint), contact the day care center directly; another option is to contact the regulating body or agency in your state that oversees day care standards.

Compile all information and evidence you have documented to present to a governing body or organization. Ensure that you provide the correct contact information for yourself and the day care center. In any complaint your identity, as well as your child's identity, will be kept anonymous by the governing body or organization investigating the complaint. Consider obtaining legal advice from the organization processing your complaint or a legal representative if the complaint should be taken further.

About the Author

Victoria Gorski has been a freelance copywriter since 2005, producing articles for small businesses, newspapers and magazines, as well as creating marketing material. She also publishes material for literacy communities and regional newspapers, such as the "MEN" and "Bolton News." Gorski is pursuing a Master of Arts in creative writing and a postgraduate certificate in education.