There are so many reasons to love summer. The warm weather, the beach, outdoor gatherings and grilled dinners. And then there’s summer’s bounty of amazing produce.
Sometimes I’ll see peaches in the grocery during the off-season but they’re horrible and tasteless. Local, summer peaches are an absolutely joy and they burst with flavor.
I love using them to make breakfast smoothies. I don’t even bother peeling them since the skin is so soft (though you certainly can). I think peaches pair wonderfully with plain yogurt, preferably full- or low-fat for a bit of richness. Ripe summer peaches are so naturally sweet that there’s no need to add anything like honey or sugar. I do like to add a bit of cinnamon and vanilla.
I love that this breakfast can be thrown together in less than 5 minutes. It’s great for mornings when I’m in a hurry or just want to sit back and enjoy something delicious without any hassle. It’s a perfect summer treat.
Peaches and Cream Smoothie
Yields: 1 smoothie
- 1 very ripe, sweet peach
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Slice the peach in half and gently twist to separate. Remove and discard the pit.
- Place the peach in a blender along with the yogurt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Blend on low to chop the peach and then slowly turn the blender up to the highest setting to puree the smoothie.
- Serve immediately.