How to Stop a Neighbor's Loud Music

Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Most of us have had experience with a noisy neighbor. You have just gone to bed after helping the kids go to the bathroom for the 10th time that night when suddenly the house begins to thump. At first you may think it is an earthquake but after a few minutes you realize it is noise coming from your neighbor's late night party music. Attempt to stop a neighbor's loud music by communicating with your neighbor, but if that does not work there are a few more things you can try.

Talk to your neighbor. Choose a time when you can calmly explain the situation. Your neighbor may not even realize the noise that he was making, so you might want to make light of the situation. For example, you could say something like "Wow, that sounded like a wild party the other night. Is everything okay?"

Obtain a copy of your neighborhood noise laws. Most cities have an ordinance that puts a curfew on noise. For example, after ten at night many cities do not allow loud, obnoxious music. You can probably find a copy of the city ordinance at your county clerk's office or the local library. Make a copy and give it to your neighbor.

Write a letter to your neighbor. Remind him that you have talked to him about the music and ask him once again to keep it down. Make sure to keep a copy of your letter.

Pay a visit to your landlord, if you are renting. It is possible that excessive noise and music is a violation of the lease agreement and your landlord may be able to talk to your neighbor and give him some type of warning.

Attend mediation. If you and your neighbor cannot work out this issue, you could suggest that the two of you meet with a neutral party.

Call your local police. If you have tried talking to your neighbor and none of the above suggestions have worked, then you have every right to call the police. Show the police the letter you have written and explain your attempts to talk to your neighbor.

Sue your neighbor for noise nuisance. This should be a last resort. When you sue, consider factors such as how much time the music has cost you in sleep and relaxation. Assign a dollar amount to that time and ask for it in small claims court.