Blinis are delicate, fluffy pancakes first made in Russia. You can top these treats with virtually anything, but smoked salmon is the most traditional topping. Adding creme fraiche and piling the pancakes with pieces of chopped egg on top of the salmon adds a festive, vibrant touch. Garnish with a little dill or parsley and lemon for a touch of brightness. With a little finesse, these delicious little appetizers are sure to become a staple in your entertaining repertoire.
Make your blinis according to the recipe, or purchase ready-made blinis. Arrange the blinis on a decorative platter, then garnish the platter with fresh sprigs of dill or fresh parsley, if desired.
Boil your eggs for 10 minutes to achieve hard-boiled eggs. Drain the eggs and let them cool before handling. Peel away the shell, and chop the eggs into coarse pieces.
Slice smoked salmon into pieces roughly double the size of the blinis. Spread a small amount of creme fraiche onto each blini. Fold salmon pieces in half, and then place salmon on top of the creme on each blini.
Add a dollop of creme fraiche on top of the salmon on each of the blini using a small spoon. Carefully pile chopped egg onto each dollop, taking care that the egg sticks to the cream and does not slide off.
Sprinkle each appetizer with a bit of freshly cracked pepper. Garnish each smoked salmon and chopped egg blini with a fresh sprig of dill to add color and enhance its flavor before serving.
- If you are making fresh blinis, they can be made a day ahead of time. Let the blinis cool before storing, covered in the refrigerator. Brush the blinis lightly with melted butter, and rewarm on a baking sheet in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for a few minutes before using to assemble the appetizers.
- Pureed potato can be added to a standard blini recipe for a fluffier pancake and different flavor profile.
- Add a small slice of avocado to each appetizer, on top of the smoked salmon and before you add the egg, for an elegant twist.
- For easy entertaining, you can set up a platter of blinis, smoked salmon, chopped egg and creme fraiche and let guests put together their own appetizers.
- John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images