Roasted sweet potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes to serve this time of year. They’re healthy, flavorful and complementary to so many seasonal entrees. People love them!
Dried cranberries and pecans are my go to accompaniments. The flavors are very complementary and it’s very easy to whip together a last minute side dish to serve with dinner or at holiday gatherings.
Sweet potatoes vary dramatically in size so I typically aim to buy average sized potatoes that are uniform in shape and easy to work with. Roasting is the perfect way to enhance their natural sweetness.
Dried cranberries are a wonderful pantry staple that I always keep on hand. They add just the right amount of tartness to balance the sweetness of the sweet potatoes!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries and Pecans
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan halves
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the sweet potatoes lightly in olive oil and spread them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Roast for approximately 20 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent sticking, until slightly caramelized and cooked through.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with the pecans and cranberries before serving.