How to Find People in the Air Force

Jupiterimages/ Images

If you are looking for someone in the U.S. Air Force, your best resource is the Air Force Personnel Center, which handles all requests to locate Air Force personnel. The center only can provide information on personnel currently receiving compensation from the Air Force, including active duty, guard, reserve, retired and civil service personnel. If a person is no longer affiliated with the Air Force, information will not be available through the Center. Official requests by government agencies or the U.S. Department of Defense can be handled by phone. All other requests, classified as unofficial, must be submitted in writing.

Step 1

Write a request for information including the name of the person you want to locate. Include his or her middle initial and rank, social security number, Air Force serial number (if known) and date of birth or Air Force duty history, including place of service. Also include your name, address and phone number.

Step 2

Put this request with the required information in an envelope with a return address and the required postage affixed. Place the individual's name in the addressee portion of the envelope.

Step 3

Place that envelope in a larger envelope with a check or money order made out for $3.50 to DAO-DERAFB. Mail the request to:HQ AFPC/DPDXIDL, 550 C S. West Ste. 50, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752.

Step 4

The center also can provide a "Statement or Verification of Service" for active duty Air Force personnel only. If you would like this statement, follow the same steps providing the same information but include a check or money order for $5.20 per written request. There is no fee for requests submitted by Air Force personnel on active duty, serving in the Guard or Reserve, or individuals who are retired.

Step 5

To make an official request for the Defense Department or another government agency, call (210) 565-2660. You must provide the same information on the person you are trying to locate. You also must provide your full name, rank, social security number, organization and the reason for your request.