Start to Finish: 15 minutes preparation, 1 hour resting
Crunchy, creamy and just the right blend of sweet and savory, this broccoli salad, inspired by one from Kraft Canada, is easy to put together and can be prepared in advance. This recipe is a good base for a nutritious, crunchy, refreshing and healthy salad. Serve alongside grilled or broiled chicken for a quick but tasty meal.
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 cups broccoli florets, bite-size pieces (roughly 3 medium heads of broccoli)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup corn niblets, cooked
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup apple, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Chop the bacon into 1/2 inch size pieces, and fry over medium-low heat until crispy. Drain and set aside. While the bacon is cooking, coat the cut apple pieces with a little bit of water and the lemon juice to prevent browning.
Stir together the vinegar, yogurt, mayo, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Combine the dressing with the corn niblets, chopped red onion, apple pieces and the broccoli florets.
Stir until fully incorporated, adding salt, sugar and pepper to taste. If the salad looks too thick, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until you have the right consistency.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour until ready to serve. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds just before serving.
- Substitute the cut apple for any type of cut fresh fruit -- firm fruits such as pears work best -- or dried fruit such as raisins.
- Substitute crumbled cheese such as blue cheese or feta for the bacon for a vegetarian salad.
- Substitute chopped nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, or other seeds, such as sunflower seeds or toasted sesame seeds, for the pumpkin seeds.
- Add bite-size or shredded vegetables, such as grated carrot or chopped red pepper, for additional pops of flavor and color.
- Mix in small cooked pasta, such as elbow macaroni, or pieces of cooked potato for a more substantial salad.