Honey is one of the longest-lasting foods in your cupboard, remaining safe and palatable for years as long as it's sealed in moisture-tight packaging. The water content of honey is approximately 20 percent when it's sold, according to the National Honey Board, and it doesn't contain enough moisture for mold or bacteria to grow. Over time it will crystalllize as one of the sugars precipitates out of the liquid honey. This is natural and harmless, and is easily reversed.
Remove the lid from your jar of crystallized honey, and place the jar in the microwave oven.
Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir the honey with a sterilized spoon to equalize the heat.
Continue microwaving and stirring at 30-second intervals until the honey has liquefied again.
Replace the lid on the honey jar and put it back into your storage area.
If your honey should start to boil during heating, remove it from the microwave and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before you resume.
Honey can also be melted in a pot of hot water. Remove the lid from your honey, remove the pot from the hot stove, and place the jar of honey in the hot water. Warm your honey in the water for five to 10 minutes, then stir. Continue stirring every few minutes until the honey has melted, reheating the water if necessary. Take care not to get any water in the honey, which would make it susceptible to mold and spoilage bacteria.