Sally Scott/iStock/Getty Images
Applied as a facial treatment, regular oatmeal commonly found in kitchen cupboards works as a mild exfoliant and helps clean the skin and clear clogged pores that lead to pimples and blackheads. Additionally, this simple cereal contains anti-inflammatory substances that soothe red, inflamed, acne-prone skin. Although you can buy pricey high-end facial products containing oatmeal, you can treat yourself to a wholesome, homemade acne treatment at a fraction of the cost.
Cereal for Your Face
Cook up a batch of plain oatmeal or rolled oats, then let it cool to a comfortable temperature. Smooth the warm oatmeal on your face and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse the oatmeal from your face with warm water. If you want a smoother facial, grind the oatmeal to a powder in a blender, coffee grinder or food processor before cooking. You can also add yogurt or honey, which are especially beneficial if your skin is sensitive or irritated.
- WebMD: Soothing Oatmeal Face Mask
- Reader's Digest: Homemade Facial Masks; Nine Recipes That Work
- The Daily Green: Twelve Things You've Never Thought to Do with Oatmeal
- University of Vermont Extension: Breakfast and Oatmeal
- Paradise Valley Community College Puma Press: Green Solutions; Natural Beauty Remedies Reduce Risk of Tumors
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Rashes
- The Old Farmer's Almanac: Poison Ivy Rash? Swimmer
- Sally Scott/iStock/Getty Images