Moisturizers fall into several categories. Some are humectants, pulling moisture out of the air to moisturize your skin. Others are emollients, which act like your own natural skin oils to seal in moisture. Oil does not in itself moisturize, although it does seal in moisture while making your skin softer and smoother. An effective moisturizing treatment with oil requires that you moisturize first and then use oil to seal in the moisture and protect your skin.
Cleanse your face with a mild soap. Mix 1 tbsp. honey with 1 tbsp. milk, and apply to your face. Rest for 10 minutes. Wash the bowl and spoon for the next step. Honey is a humectant, and milk contains the acids that produce alpha-hydroxy acid. Alpha-hydroxy acid exfoliates your skin and moisturizes it, making it more supple.
Rinse off the mask thoroughly with warm water. Combine the 1/4 cup rosewater with 1 tbsp. glycerin, and splash your face with it to remove all traces of the mask and to moisturize your skin. Rosewater and glycerin is a time-tested moisturizer for good reason. Glycerin is a humectant. It is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water from the air. After splashing with this toner, don't dry your face; it needs to be damp for the next step.
Pour about 1 tsp. of a high-quality oil, such as avocado, almond, olive or jojoba oil, into your palm and rub it between your hands. Spread the oil over your face in a thin layer to seal the moisture into your skin. It will spread easily because your face is moist. The oil will help to seal in your skin's moisture all day.
- Pioneer Thinking: What is Glycerin
- "Face, Hair and Body: Making Organic Masks, Treatments and Lotions for Natural Beauty"; Gill Farrer-Halls; 2004
- "Home Spa: Recipes and Techniques to Restore and Refresh"; Golden, MR, Burns, M; 1997
- The Huffington Post: 9 Super Sweet Facts About Honey
- "The Herbal Home Spa"; Breedlove G; 1998
- If you want a thicker mask, grind 1 tbsp. of oatmeal in your blender and mix it into the milk and honey. Oatmeal is soothing for sensitive skin.
- You can use almost any kind of high-quality oil for this treatment, or blend a few. For instance, you could melt 1 tsp. of coconut oil into the same amount of olive oil or jojoba oil.
- This moisturizing treatment is for dry to normal skin. If your skin is already oily, you will want to use a different kind of moisturizer. If you are unsure about any ingredient, perform a patch test. Twenty-four hours before your oil treatment, dab a little of the ingredient that concerns you into your elbow crease. If no irritation develops in 24 hours, it is probably safe to use.
- NikiLitov/iStock/Getty Images