Skin brightening is a viable option for those who want fairer, more even skin. Although chemical treatments are available, less-harsh home remedies exist that are safe and effective to try. Potatoes are one remedy that, while delicious to eat, can also be used for lightening and evening skin tone. To further help the process of getting fairer skin, exfoliate daily with a gentle scrub. Exfoliation helps remove dead skin buildup that can cause patches and uneven tones.
Rinse a potato under cool water to soften and remove dirt. Peel the potato on all sides, holding it over a trash can or sink and pressing the peeler lightly against the potato’s skin and sliding it away from your body.
Pick out any potato eyes with the peeler's pointed end. Rinse the potato once more with cool water.
Grate the potato with a fine grater edge into thin strips. Place the strips into a clean bowl and mash them up thoroughly with a potato masher or fork.
Clean your face with face wash and pat the skin dry. Apply the mashed concoction to your face, being careful to not get any potato in your eyes. Leave the mixture on your face with your head tilted back for 20 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat skin dry. Repeat daily or every other day as this method is gentle on skin.
Items you will need
- Large potato
- Potato peeler with pointed tip
- Fine kitchen grater
- Potato masher
- Face wash
- Wash cloth
- Cube the potato and use a food processor for a creamy paste.
- Create an extra cooling effect by keeping the potato in the refrigerator for a few hours. Not only will it feel relaxing, but it will help tighten pores even more.
- Add lemon juice, another natural lightener, to potatoes to further boost effect. Be wary of any cuts or blemishes on your face and your eyes because lemon juice can sting.
- If you have puffy eyes in the morning, cut a few slices of raw potato and place over your eyes. They’ll help reduce and brighten the skin around eyes in a pinch.
- If redness or irritation occur, discontinue use of the potato mask.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images