Cheating is emotionally devastating to the person who is cheated on. You can spend years trying to recover from the heartache of your man's cheating. You may start to believe that all men will cheat on you, which will affect future relationships. After all, you can't have a healthy relationship with a man if you don't trust him. You must learn to trust again for your own good. It will take a lot of time and effort, but the payoff is that you may end up with a loving man who makes you happier than you ever were before.
Seek the support of friends and family. Tell them your feelings and the difficulties you are dealing with in trying to trust the new man in your life. Your loved ones may be able to give you advice and ways to cope with the distrust. When negative feelings intrude during the day, call a good friend and ask for help in coping.
Explain your feelings to the new man. Go into detail about why you feel the way you do. Tell him you are working on learning to trust. As him to demonstrate his trustworthiness by doing simple things like calling you if he will be late.
Make a list of the positive things your new man does to show his concern and love. For instance, he may call you if he is late so that you don't worry. Look at this list to remind yourself that you can trust him when you are feeling insecure.
- Oprah.com; Ask Deepak: How to Get Back In the Datiing Game; Deepak Chopra; February 17, 2010
- "Psychology Today"; Dating After Divorce; David Anderson, Ph.D.; January 1, 2003
- Power to Change; Do You Trust Him?; Claire Colvin
- "Psychology Today"; A Simple Exercise to Increase Trust In Yourself; Susanne Babbel; March 17, 2010
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images