The typical career path for medical office administration is through a bachelor's or master's degree program in medical or healthcare management. The best colleges with on-campus programs are rated by “U.S. News and World Report” for health care management. Online programs are not ranked, however, so validating the on-campus rankings by rankings from “U.S. News and World Report,” The “Wall Street Journal” and Academic Ranking of World Universities for business and economics, indicates schools with the resources for top online programs. These top schools, ranked in 2010 to 2013, reflect a general agreement between the rankings with enriched online learning opportunities.
Carnegie Mellon University
The Heinz College, School of Public Policy and Management, of Carnegie Mellon University at Pittsburgh offers a Master of Medical Management for physician executives through a blended distance education and on-campus program. The program focuses on leadership, strategy and information technology with instruction by faculty drawn from multiple disciplines, such as health care policy and economics. Carnegie Mellon University ranked in the top 20 for business and economics, according to the ranking organizations, although it was not ranked for a health care management program. However, the university website noted that the program was ranked in the top five for physician executive programs.
University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota at Crookston's digital campus offers a Bachelor of Science in Health Management through an online format. In addition, the university offers a Master of Healthcare Administration through a hybrid online and limited on-campus residency format. These programs feature courses taught by faculty with the same standards of academic excellence as the on-campus programs, but with additional experiential requirements. The University ranked second for on-campus health care management programs, 23rd by “U.S. News and World Report” for best business school and 15th according to ARWU for business and economics, strong indicators of university resources for a top online program.
The School of Medicine at Boston University offers a master's in health care emergency management that prepares graduates to work in emergency and crisis management with experience in the biomedical sciences and health care. The program allows students to attend on-campus or through web-based video conferencing software from anywhere with Internet access. Students prepare for emergency management in emergency departments, hospitals, state and local government, and meeting the needs of victims of major disasters and tragedies. Boston University ranked 11th for on-campus health care management programs, 40th for "U.S. News and World Report's" best business schools and 35th for economics and business by ARWU, solid indicators of a top online program.
Pennsylvania State University
The World Campus at Pennsylvania State University of University Park offers a Master of Health Administration in Health Policy and Administration in a collaborative effort between the World Campus, Department of Health Policy and Administration and the School of Public Affairs. The program connects the student with experienced faculty that are leaders with field experience and active research interests, such as health disparities in families and children and outcomes of care in nursing homes. The on-campus program ranked 29th for health care management by “U.S. News and World Report,” 11th according to “The Wall Street Journal” and 40th according to ARWU for business and economics, indicating resources for a top online program.
- United States Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Medical and Health Services Managers
- U.S. News and World Report: Education, Best Graduate Schools, Healthcare Management
- U.S. News and World Report: Education, Best Graduate Schools, Best Business Schools
- The Wall Street Journal: Management, Paths to Profession, Rankings by Major, Best Schools, Business and Economics
- Academic Ranking of Universities: Academic Ranking of World Universities in Economics and Business, 2013
- Carnegie Mellon University: Heinz College, School of Public Policy and Management, Medical Management
- University of Minnesota: Digital Campus, Master of Healthcare Administration
- University of Minnesota: Digital Campus, Bachelor of Science in Health Management
- Pennsylvania State University: World Campus, Degrees and Certificates, Master of Health Administration in Health Policy and Administration
- Boston University: School of Medicine, Graduate Medical Sciences, Healthcare Emergency Management
- Comstock Images/Stockbyte/Getty Images