With a few beauty tools and a steady hand, you can shorten your brows without the use of tweezers. If your brows are looking especially long or are creeping toward a unibrow -- a little trim with a bit of wax can help.
Brush, Clip and Measure
With a mini beauty or spoolie brush, brush your brows upward in the direction of your brow shape.
Trim the tips of any hairs that are longer than the rest with miniature beauty scissors. Be careful not to over-trim, as doing so leaves gaps in your brows. If you trim too far, brows will eventually grow back, but it is best to avoid any mishaps by trimming carefully.
Place a pen or any other straight object vertically alongside the outside edge of your nose up to your eyebrow. Use an eyebrow pencil to draw a vertical line where it intersects the inside of your eyebrow. Repeat on the other side.
Place a pen or any other straight object against your cheek at an angle, with one end touching the outside of your nose and the other end touching the outside corner of your eye. Use a the eyebrow pencil to mark the spot where the pen intersects your brow. Repeat on the other side.
Warm up your wax according to the directions on the package. Wax should be no more than 10 degrees warmer than your skin. Test the temperature on the back of your hand before applying it to your face; it should feel warm, not hot.
Place the pen on the eyebrow pencil mark on one side of your inner brow. Apply a small amount of facial wax to any hairs outside of the pen. Put the pen down and cover the wax with a wax strip. Use your finger to apply pressure and smooth out the wax strip. In a quick motion, pull the strip off in the opposite direction of hair growth, pulling parallel to the skin. Do not pull up and out, which can irritate the skin and lead to ingrown hairs. Repeat on the other inner brow.
Place the pen on the pencil mark on one side of your outer brow. Apply a small amount of facial wax to any hairs outside of the pen. Put the pen down and cover wax with a wax strip. Use your finger to apply pressure to and smooth out the wax strip. In a quick motion, pull the strip off in the opposite direction of hair growth, pulling parallel to the skin. Do not pull up and out, which can irritate the skin and lead to ingrown hairs. Repeat on the other outer brow.
Apply a cool compress to minimize redness and irritation. Wash off the eyebrow pencil marks with mild soap and water and brush your brows back to their rightful place with the mini beauty brush.
Items you will need
- Mini beauty brush or spoolie brush
- Mini beauty scissors
- Pen or other straight object
- Eyebrow pencil
- Facial wax
- Cool compress
- Do not wax the area above the eyebrows, which determines your natural shape.
- Do not attempt to wax the lower eyebrow yourself, unless you are an expert; achieving a good lower brow shape on your own is extremely difficult.
- If you are a beginner, go to the salon to have your eyebrows shortened. Request a stylist with extensive eyebrow experience. Ask her to show you the correct way to trim and wax at home.
- Daily Mail: 'I plucked my eyebrows until they stopped growing back': Delighted dentist, 30, reveals results of £3,500 transplant op
- Huffington Post: Beauty Horror Stories: Eyebrow Waxing Gone Terribly Wrong
- O Magazine: The Eyebrow Experiment
- Fox News Magazine: Get the Perfect Eyebrow Shape for Your Face
- George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images