The moment you realize that the faint black smudge above your lip is actually facial hair is the moment that it’s time to elevate hair removal to an all new level. Many women develop these mustache lines as they age, and just as many spend their days battling them. Sometimes the mustache is the result of facial discoloration, which is also treatable. No matter the cause, removing the dark shadows will leave you looking more like a glamour goddess and less like your uncle Morty.
Open a box of pre-waxed strips, available at any drugstore. Remove one of the strips and lay it on a flat surface. Plug in a hair dryer and set it to medium heat. Turn the hair dryer on and hold it 4 to 5 inches away from the wax strip for 10 to 15 seconds. You are trying to soften the strip, not melt it into a liquid.
Remove the protective backing from the wax strip and press the waxed side onto the skin above your upper lip with firm pressure.
Wait one to two minutes to allow the wax to cool and harden slightly.
Place one finger on your skin next to the wax strip and press down firmly. With your other hand, peel up one corner of the wax strip using your fingernail. Grasp the corner firmly between two fingers and pull it off of your skin with a rapid motion. Remove remaining wax by wiping the skin gently with a warm washcloth. Apply a light layer of aloe vera gel to reduce redness and irritation. Avoid applying sunscreen or other lotions for 24 hours and avoid sun exposure. After three days, massage a gentle exfoliation cream over the skin and rinse with water to avoid ingrown hairs.
Apply a pea-sized amount of a prescription hair-inhibitor cream to the skin above your upper lip, extending it out all the way to the corners of your mouth. Apply the cream twice per day. This will dramatically slow hair growth after you have removed the hair using wax.
Spread a thin layer of an over-the-counter bleaching cream over your upper lip, staying clear of your mouth. Wait five to 10 minutes, depending on the manufacturer's instructions, then wipe your face using a damp cloth to remove all of the cream -- again, staying clear of your mouth.
Apply a tiny dot of pink- or yellow-based concealer to your upper lip and blend it outward using your fingertips to cover any remaining discoloration. Women with darker skin tones should opt for a concealer that matches their natural skin color.
Items you will need
- Wax strips
- Hair dryer
- Aloe vera gel
- Gentle exfoliating cream
- Hair-inhibitor cream
- Bleaching cream
- If your mustache line remains, visit a dermatologist who can perform procedures to lighten the skin discoloration or permanently remove the hair.
- If you regularly apply any type of prescription cream containing retinoids, stop using it seven days prior to waxing. Retinoids thin the skin, making it easy to pull off with the wax strip.
- Daily Glow: Your Most Embarrassing Skin Questions, Answered
- Bella Sugar: Rid Yourself of the "Moustache Shadow"
- XO Jane: 3 Secret Weapons For Fighting Your Lady-Moustache
- The Frisky: Getting Smooth Survival Guide: Amelia Tests Sally Hansen’s Hair Remover Wax Strip Kit
- Associated Skin Care Professionals: Waxing
- Best Waxing Center: How to Treat Your Skin After Waxing
- Thinkstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images