Whoever said that cake mix is only for making cakes has obviously never had a cake mix waffle. Cake batter is quite versatile, requiring nothing more than a mold to hold it in place and a heat source to activate the rising agents within the mix. If you have a waffle maker, box of cake mix and the ingredients to prepare the batter, you have the makings for a morning meal or anytime dessert.
Preheat your waffle maker so it is ready to go as soon as the cake mix is ready.
Spray the waffle grid with cooking spray to ensure that the cake mix does not stick to the surface.
Prepare the cake mix as instructed on the packaging label. Recipes typically require you to mix eggs, water and vegetable oil with the cake mix in a large bowl.
Remove a ladle full of cake mix from the bowl and pour just enough onto the waffle grid to cover the peaks and valleys.
Close the top of the waffle maker and wait for the steaming and sizzling to stop. As soon as the waffle maker turns quiet, cooking is done and you can open it up.
Remove the cake mix waffle from the waffle maker by sliding a plastic spatula underneath and lifting up.
Lay the cake mix waffle on a plate and close the waffle maker to maintain heat, opening once you are ready to fill it with cake batter once again.
Items you will need
- Waffle maker
- Cooking spray
- Cake mix and required ingredients for mix
- Large bowl
- Plastic spatula
- If you have a non-stick waffle maker, feel free to skip the second step. However, if the non-stick surface is scratched in any way you may want to apply the cooking spray just as a precaution.
- If you do not have cooking spray, brush vegetable oil onto the surface with a pastry brush.
- Top your cake mix waffles with whipped cream, fruit, frosting, chocolate chips, sprinkles or even some chopped nuts to add some fun flavor.
- Do not use a metal spatula to remove the cake mix waffle. A metal spatula can scratch the surface.
- Do not open the waffle maker until the steaming stops. If you do, the waffles may not be finished cooking. Waffles that are not fully cooked will stick to the waffle grid.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images