Teaching little ones the value of prayer is instrumental for Christian development. With helpful reminders, kids can learn how to stay close to God through prayer. Prayer beads are one tool for instilling the peace necessary for meaningful prayer. Imagine your little one holding prayer beads during prayer while a mellow calm passes over her -- doesn't that just sound magical? Choose baubles in bright colors and design simple prayer beads to appeal to your youngster.
Unwind the beading cord and measure a 46-inch length with the tape measure. Cut the beading cord at this point with the scissors.
String the cross charm onto the cord, pushing it about a third of the way along the cord. Tie the cord into a tight knot around the cross charm so it will sit at this point without budging.
Thread both ends of the string through the white bead and pull it down until it is resting on top of the cross charm with both cords pulled taut. Tie a tight double knot just above this bead.
Thread the longer end of the cord through one of the 25mm beads from left to right and pull it taut. Thread the shorter cord through the same bead from right to left and pull it taut.
Add seven 18mm beads to the longer end of the cord, then string on another 25mm bead. Continue adding seven 18mm beads and another 25mm bead two more times. Add the final seven 18mm beads to the cord.
Thread the longer cord through the first 25mm bead again -- this time from right to left -- and pull the cord taut. Tie the two ends of the cord together tightly in a square knot.
Insert the extra cord through two or three beads nearest the knot to hide the ends. Cut off the excess cord sticking out from the beads with the scissors, and the ends of the cord will be hidden inside the strung beads.
Items you will need
- Medium-weight beading cord
- Tape measure
- 1 cross charm
- 1 white 22mm bead
- 28 18mm beads (one color)
- 4 25mm beads (contrasting color)
- The number of beads in the prayer-bead chain -- 33 -- has special significance, according to the Trinity Church Elmira website, because Jesus was 33 when he was crucified.
- To use the prayer beads, hold the cross charm and start reciting the prayers you’ve assigned to each bead. Start with the large white bead -- the “invitatory bead” -- and work around the circle of beads. The On Beads of Prayer website suggests that kids might pray for the earth in the first set of beads, the sea in the second set of beads, family in the third set of beads, and personal prayers in the fourth set of beads.
- Watch your tot while she handles and holds her prayer beads to make sure no mishaps happen. Tugging too hard at the strung prayer beads could cause beads to fly everywhere -- oh my! Although these beads are large, they could still pose a choking hazard for little ones.
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images