You finally committed to making the big chop -- even though you know the humidity is going to make sporting a set of bangs a little bit of a hassle. Fortunately, though it takes a bit more work than going without fringe, a variety of helpful products and guidelines will help you keep those forehead-sweeping tresses sleek and smooth even during the balmiest of days.
Shampoo and condition your hair in the shower with products formulated to moisturize or hydrate tresses. Dehydrated hair has a greater tendency to become frizzy.
Apply a smoothing serum to wet hair. Choose an anti-frizz serum specifically if you have curly hair to keep your bangs as smooth as possible.
Brush your bangs apart from the rest of your hairstyle when the hair is still wet. Dry that portion of your hair first to get the bangs as straight as possible before they begin to air-dry. Blow dry your bangs with the blow dryer pointed down toward the ends. Use a vented brush to direct the hair to one side for a few strokes, then switch to the opposite direction. Continue switching back and forth until the bangs are completely dry.
Flat iron your bangs, angling them in at the ends, slightly toward your face, for a more natural appearance, unless you prefer stick-straight fringe.
Gently mist your bangs with light hairspray to keep them in place. Choose the lightest hold possible and avoid overdoing it so your bangs remain natural looking rather than stiff.
Items you will need
- Moisturizing shampoo
- Moisturizing conditioner
- Smoothing serum
- Anti-frizz serum
- Vent brush
- Blow dryer
- Flat iron
- Hair spray
- Choose a mini-flat iron for a more manageable take on straightening your bangs and to prevent accidentally tapping and burning surrounding skin.
- Consider a straightening treatment from the salon for hair that remains frizz-free for an extended period of time. This will help bangs remain smooth even in humid conditions.
- Allure: Top Five Hair Tips
- Lucky Mag: How-to (Beauty): How do I style my bangs?
- InStyle: Frizz-Free Bangs
- InStyle: Short Bangs
- InStyle: Get Hollywood Hair: Stylists' All-Time Favorite Products
- The Times-Picayune Greater New Orleans: Big Bang Theory: Hair Expert Jim Compton on Taming the Frizz
- Vogue: The Big Bang Theory: A Survival Guide for Summer Fringe
- Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images