Jobs for Helping Children With Disorders

by Alison Green

Pursuing courses in psychology, special education or sociology can lead you to a career helping children with disorders return to normalcy. With a diploma or degree in any of these fields and appropriate certifications, you can qualify for employment as a behavior unit teacher, school psychologist, family therapist or social worker. You must be an excellent communicator, because these jobs often involve dealing with children with communication disorders.

Social Worker

Social workers respond to crisis situations affecting children, such as child abuse, domestic violence and divorce. For example, if parents mistreat a child, he can develop social or emotional disorders. Social workers investigate cases of child abuse and place abused children in foster care until their parents are able to provide responsible care. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 20-percent increase in job opportunities by 2020, so expect plenty of employment options.

Behavior Unit Teacher

Behavior unit teachers help children with behavioral disorders develop good social skills and achieve their academic ambitions. This job involves evaluating the educational requirements of special-needs students in order to create a better classroom environment. To do this, you can involve your students in making classroom rules. You need to earn a bachelor's degree in special education and pass certification exams for special needs educators.

Family Therapist

Parents often seek professional counseling when their kids have emotional, social or behavioral disorders. As a profession, family therapy focuses on implementing home-based practices that promote parent-child interactions to benefit children. For example, if a child is suffering from anxiety as a result of overprotective parenting, a family therapist helps parents adopt parenting practices that allow children to cope with day-to-day stressors. Family therapists can work in state agencies and residential care facilities or practice privately as independent consultants.

School Psychologist

Trained in both psychology and education, school psychologists provide counseling and instruction to students struggling with emotional, social and behavioral disorders. School psychologists collaborate with teachers, parents and community providers to coordinate the delivery of services to children and their families in and out of school. For instance, if you work for an elementary school, you need to establish effective lines of communication with parents of affected children so that you can assist in reinforcing wellness when students are on vacation.

About the Author

Based in New York City, Alison Green has been writing professionally on career topics for more than a decade. Her work has appeared in “U.S. News Weekly” magazine, “The Career” magazine and “Human Resources Journal.” Green holds a master's degree in finance from New York University.

Photo Credits

  • Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images