It’s hard not to love a quality cashmere garment. The soft and lavish fabric transitions effectively from summer to winter but requires careful care because of its delicate fibers. Ironing cashmere incorrectly can damage the garment, leaving your beloved cashmere stiff, burned and ruined.
Wash cashmere before ironing it. Never iron a dirty cashmere garment, which can cause any dirt or grime to set in the fibers permanently. Cashmere should be hand washed or washed on the gentlest cycle with mild, dye- and bleach-free detergent. Don't twist or wring it.
Lay your cashmere garment on a clean towel to dry and smooth out the wrinkles. This limits the wrinkles that can form and possibly saves you from having to iron at all. Let the garment dry thoroughly.
Turn the garment inside out and lay it flat on an ironing board, smoothing it as wrinkle-free as possible. Turn your iron on to the lowest heat and steam setting and let it warm up for a few minutes.
Lightly press the iron down on your garment. Keep the iron moving constantly in slow strokes while it is on the garment,. Letting it sit in any one spot can burn fibers. Work over the garment with the iron gently until you’ve removed wrinkles.
Items you will need
- Mild detergent
- Clean towel
- Ironing board
- Fold cashmere to store -- never hang. Hanging can lead to sagging and shapeless cashmere garments.
- If the label says “dry-clean only” but you still want to attempt ironing at home, hang the sweater, set your iron to steam only and slowly steam out wrinkles. Another method is to iron with a dry, clean pressing cloth between the iron and cashmere garment.
- When washing cashmere, wash it with other delicate cashmere and nothing else. Cashmere can catch easily on other garments. Even delicate bras have clasps that snag fabric. If in doubt, wash it by itself on the gentle cycle.
- Never dry cashmere in the dryer. The heat from your dryer will destroy cashmere, shrinking or misshaping it. Even with no heat, your cashmere can become stretched out and shapeless.
- Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images