Spring roll wrappers are surprisingly versatile and can be used for more than creating your favorite Vietnamese snack. If you find yourself with leftovers or you’re craving a crunchy snack, simply cut up spring roll wrappers into triangles or squares, briefly fry in oil and in just minutes you’ll have crunchy chips perfect for snacking.
Heat oil in a skillet or electric deep fryer to a temperature of around 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a neutral tasting oil like vegetable or canola oil.
Cut the spring roll wrappers into pieces, cutting straight up and down - both vertically and horizontally - to create square-shaped chips or in a diagonal line for triangle-shaped chips.
Introduce a few of the spring roll wrappers to the hot oil with a pair of tongs. Stir and flip the chips continuously so that they cook evenly. Cook for a few seconds, until the spring roll wrappers turn a light golden brown.
Remove the spring roll chips from the hot oil and let drain on paper towels to absorb the excess grease. Repeat this process for the remaining spring roll wrappers, allowing the hot oil to return to heat after each batch.
Items you will need
- Sharp knife
- Spring roll wrappers
- Skillet or electric deep fryer
- Paper towels
- Pair spring roll wrapper chips with your favorite dips for snacking or crush up the chips and sprinkle them on top of salads.
- Hot oil may cause serious burns so be careful when deep frying. Fill the skillet or electric deep fryer you are using no more than half full of oil to avoid spillovers and contain any splattering. Use long tongs or a slotted spoon with a long handle to avoid getting too close to the hot oil when adding or retrieving food.
- Should a grease fire occur, use baking soda, a damp towel or a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.
- Jack Hollingsworth/Photodisc/Getty Images