Brisket is a cut of beef prized by everyone from barbecue masters to home cooks for its tenderness and succulent flavor. Derived from the lower chest, brisket contains a significant amount of connective tissue that requires it to be cooked slowly to avoid becoming tough and dry. Slow-cooking the brisket tenderizes the tissue, creating moist, juicy meat. Wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven for a few hours for fork-tender results.
Preheat your oven to a temperature between 300 and 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spread a large piece of aluminum foil over a baking dish and place the brisket on the aluminum foil. Season the brisket simply with salt and pepper, slather it with barbecue sauce, or add onions and sauerkraut to the foil to cook alongside the meat.
Wrap the foil tightly around the brisket to seal in heat and moisture while it cooks. Place the baking dish with the aluminum-wrapped brisket in the oven and bake for around one hour per pound of meat. Increase cooking time to 90 minutes per pound if you are cooking larger cuts of brisket, those weighing 8 to 12 pounds.
Remove the brisket from the oven and let rest in the foil for around 30 minutes prior to serving.
Items you will need
- Aluminum foil
- Baking dish
- Beef brisket can be prepared a day in advance and reheated. Doing so allows the flavors to develop further. Simply reheat the brisket in a 350 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Brown the brisket on the stove top for three minutes on each side before baking to add color to the outside of the brisket.
- Alternatively, you can also bake brisket in a dish covered in foil.
- Pair brisket with oven-roasted potatoes or steamed vegetables, add it to soups and casseroles, or use it to make sandwiches.
- Tougher cuts of meat like brisket should be thoroughly cooked until internal temperatures reach a range between 180 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Simply Recipes: Beef Brisket Recipe
- The Brisket Book: A Love Story with Recipes; Stephanie Pierson
- How to Cook Meat; Christopher Schlesinger and John Willoughby
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images