Fashion mavens who love to make a statement would do well to choose a purplish-pink cocktail dress for their next soiree. Magenta and radiant orchid -- Pantone’s 2014 color of the year -- both fall into this category and boast a rich, luxe look. Use care when selecting jewelry and shoes to pair with your dress; classic neutrals and glam metallics are both elegant, fail-safe options for accessorizing your fancy frock.
Stately and Sophisticated
If you’d like to lend a polished, classic vibe to your purplish-pink cocktail dress, select neutral hues -- namely, black, taupe and nude -- as your accessory colors. A satin magenta sheath paired with dark taupe pointy-toe pumps and a two-toned taupe-and-black clutch translates to instant elegance. Introduce different textures for added depth; a black satin handbag or nude patent heels keep the palette neutral but interesting. If you’d like a wild take, try neutral-hue leopard-print pumps, a black patent belt and a beige leather clutch. Complete the look with crystal studs or drops and a simple tennis bracelet.
Shiny and Sparkly
To bring out the party in your cocktail frock, select metallic accessories. Silver and pewter are especially well-matched with cool purples and pinks, but gold, pewter, bronze and even pearlized finishes look striking against a deep magenta or orchid dress. Select silver open-toe strappy heels and carry a pewter or graphite minaudiere clutch. Add silver-plated rhinestone chandelier earrings or, for a bit more edge, opt for layers of mixed-metal chains studded with crystals. Finish with either a colorful cocktail ring or a metallic cuff bracelet.
- The Huffington Post: She Means Business! Eva Longoria Wears Stunning Magenta Dress to Campaign for Barack Obama's Re-election
- InStyle: Fashion Week Fall 2011 -- Stars at New York Fashion Week
- Refinery 29: Twelve Shimmering Shoes That Prove Silver Is Totally a Neutral
- InStyle: What's Right Now -- Celebrities in 2014's Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid
- Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images