Mascara can give you pretty peepers, but if you seem to end up with clumpy lashes no matter what you do, never fear -- the solution is as close as your fingertips. Choosing the right products, applying them the right way and practicing a few insider tricks for removing clumps is all you need to achieve clump-free, fluttery lashes -- all while avoiding a sticky situation.
Pour a bit of eye makeup remover onto a cotton pad and gently sweep it over your eyes if you have any traces of leftover makeup from the day before.
Rub a gentle face wash and water between your hands until it suds and gently clean your eyelashes and eyelids for a completely clean canvas. Be sure to keep your eyes shut tightly during washing.
Allow your eyelashes to dry. Comb through dry lashes with a dry, makeup-free mascara spool to keep them from clumping up before applying mascara.
Remove the wand from your mascara tube and drag the spool along the tip to remove any clumps or excess mascara from the brush.
Hold a sanitized credit card, business card or other small, flat object behind your upper lashes. Sweep mascara onto your lashes, pressing the mascara spool and lashes against the card to help prevent clumps from forming.
Comb through your eyelashes with an eyelash comb, sweeping the tool from roots to tips to separate lashes and remove any clumps.
Apply a second coat of mascara using the credit-card method. Repeat the combing process to remove any clumps for fanned-out, beautiful lashes.
Items you will need
- Eye makeup remover
- Cotton pads
- Face wash
- Mascara spool
- Credit card (or small, flat object)
- Eyelash comb
- Throw out your mascara after three months and purchase a new container to ensure you're using fresh mascara with a smooth, clump-free consistency.
- Read through your favorite fashion magazines or blogs to find suggested mascara brands and formulas with the lowest likelihood of clumping.
- Practice caution when using the credit-card method, keeping the credit card from touching your eye. If you don't have a steady hand, skip this method and simply apply mascara without the card, followed by eyelash combing after the first and second coat.
- Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images