A birth certificate is a vital record that documents the birth of a child and is required documentation in many instances throughout one's life. A certified copy of a Florida birth certificate has a raised embossed seal authenticating the certificate by the state and can be obtained by completing an Application for Birth Record. Be sure to read the application directions thoroughly and include all necessary documents for the fastest service.
Complete the Application for Florida Birth Record. This document is available online by the Florida Department of Health (see Resources). Complete the form in its entirety before printing it to be mailed with a copy of a photo ID and payment. Be sure to sign the form and include your printed name, current address and telephone number.
Make a photocopy of a valid picture ID to include with the application. Acceptable forms of ID are a driver's license, state identification card, military identification card or passport.
Include a check or money order payable to Vital Statistics in the amount of $9. This is the required fee for a Computer Certification of a birth certificate, which is a certified copy of a Florida birth certificate. A Computer Certification birth certificate is recognized and acceptable by all state and federal agencies, according to the Florida Department of Health. Cash is not accepted.
Mail the application, copy of your photo ID and payment to: State Office of Vital Statistics Attn: Client Services P.O. Box 210 Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
- Standard processing time is three to four business days after the office has received the application.
- Orders marked "RUSH" may be processed in one to two business days for an additional fee of $10.
- A fee of $15 will be assessed for dishonored checks.
- Payment may be made by credit card through a third party firm for a fee of $7 plus a $10 rush fee charged by the State Office. Contact the firm at 877-550-7330 to pay by credit card.
- Only photocopies are available for births prior to 1917. Photocopies are certified documents and take approximately 15 business days to process.
- birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from Fotolia.com