Can an Illegal Immigrant Join the Army in the U.S.?

by Neil Kokemuller

To enlist in the U.S. Army, you must be a citizen or in the country legally. This means that an illegal immigrant can't join. In fact, you can't join any branch of the armed forces as an illegal immigrant. As a noncitizen, you need to have a green card that allows you to take up temporary legal residence in the country.

Additional Enlistment Requirements

Your green card must extend beyond your potential enlistment period. So, you can't join if your card is set to expire soon. Along with a green card, you must have proof that you are a U.S. resident. Even the U.S. government is not able to get a waiver for an illegal immigrant to join the Army, according to the U.S. Immigration Support website.

About the Author

Neil Kokemuller has been an active business, finance and education writer and content media website developer since 2007. He has been a college marketing professor since 2004. Kokemuller has additional professional experience in marketing, retail and small business. He holds a Master of Business Administration from Iowa State University.

Photo Credits

  • George Doyle & Ciaran Griffin/Stockbyte/Getty Images