Although neuroscience is commonly associated with brain surgery and high-level medical degrees, it is also a subject in which you can earn a Bachelor of Arts. With a B.A. in neuroscience, you might work as a biologist or psychologist, in a family practice or as a teacher at a college or university. Understanding the program and what it offers in terms of career choices can help you decide whether it is worthwhile.
Set yourself up for admission to a university that offers a good neuroscience program by taking pre-calculus, probability and statistics, anatomy and physiology, and advanced courses in biology and chemistry. Determine the admission requirements of your dream schools while you’re in the first two years of high school, and work to meet them.
Once in school, decide between stopping after earning your four-year degree and continuing on to earn a master’s degree in neuroscience post-graduation, for which your B.A. will set you up well. Look into master’s programs that continue onward from your B.A. simply by adding another year or so of study.
Decide what you want to do after school and tailor your choices accordingly using a college course schedule. Choose courses such as Neuropharmacology if you want to work at a drug company or Hormones and Behavior if you’d like to work in a hormone lab.
Explore the job market if you don’t want to get a degree beyond the B.A. Look for jobs like a researcher or lab assistant at medical centers, drug companies or research universities.
Items you will need
- College admission requirements
- College course schedule
- When you graduate, you can choose to work for a while and then go back to get your master’s degree. There is no need to go straight from one degree to the other.
- iSeek Education: Field of Study: Neuroscience
- University of California, Riverside: Undergraduate Neuroscience Major: Requirements and Courses
- University of Delaware: Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience Requirements (Catalog Year 2005-2012)
- Trinity College of Arts and Sciences: Undergraduate Neuroscience
- Goodshoot/Goodshoot/Getty Images