Bohemian style isn't just about clothing -- you can also pull your beauty routine into the mix. Bohemian hairstyles are chic, versatile and simple to pull off. Wear your bohemian locks during the day to spice up some understated jeans or shorts and sport them with a subtle wink at night in a dress and heels. There are no shortage of bohemian styles to choose from so no matter what your tastes may be, you're sure to find an easy-to-do look that you love.
Easy, Loose Side Braid
Brush your hair through to make sure you have a tangle-free playing field. Part your hair slightly off center on either side of your head with a comb.
Curl your entire head of hair, wrapping individual sections around a medium-barrel curling iron.
Once all of your hair has been curled, finger comb it, guiding it toward the side opposite your part and down to the nape of your neck.
Loosely braid your hair, securing it at the end with an elastic band.
Mist the braid with hairspray to keep your look in place.
Spritz your freshly washed hair with a texturizing spray.
Part your hair in the center or slightly off center on either side.
Curl your entire head of hair, winding large sections of hair around a large-barrel curling iron. Don’t place the hair between the iron and the clamp. Instead, keep the iron closed as you curl, using your fingertips to grasp the tips of the hair and hold the pieces around the iron.
Gently tousle your hair with your fingers when you've finished curling the hair.
Apply hairspray for hold.
Start this look on your freshly curled hair.
Separate a section of hair at the front of the hairline along your part with your comb.
Loosely braid this section down to about the ear line.
Pull your braid back and bobby pin it in place at the back of the crown of the head.
Repeat along your other part or just stick with one braid.
Items you will need
- Medium-barrel and large-barrel curling iron
- Elastic band
- Texturizing spray
- Bobby pins
- If you have naturally curly hair, skip the curling iron all together and simple braid your tresses into a bohemian side braid.
- If you have straight hair and don't want to apply heat, simply braid large sections of hair before you go to bed. When you wake up, remove your braids and shake out your hair. This will leave you with a bohemian, wavy texture.
- If you prefer to forego the larger braids, choose random thin pieces of hair and work them into tiny braids. Secure them with small elastics and they'll add lovely texture to straight or curly hair.
- InStyle: Bohemian Hair
- Total Beauty: 15 Essential Braids -- And How to Do Them
- Real Beauty: Celebrity Inspiration: Boho Beauties
- InStyle: Get Tips on Creating Runway-Inspired Boho Waves In Our How-To Video!
- Glamour: 3 Ways to Pull Off Beachy Boho-Chic Hair
- InStyle: Your Most Stylish Year Ever: June: Summer Hair Protection
- Valerie Macon/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images